How to connect your Amazon S3 account to WPTC more securely
This article teaches you how to make your Amazon S3 account more secure with WP Time Capsule.
WPTC creates separate IAM user for each site on the same bucket for security reasons, so we need Full IAM Access and Full Amazon S3 access to setup this.
Once we create a new user and policies for a particular user, we use that IAM user credentials for a specific site.
NOTE: We never store full access credentials anywhere on your site or in our cloud.
- Log in to your Amazon Web Services console - https://console.aws.amazon.com/console/home
- Click on your username which you can find it in the top right corner of your page. Click on Security Credentials in the drop-down
- If you have already set up IAM users, you can skip this step. If not, click on Get Started with IAM Users button in the dialog that appears.
- Click on the user whose access key you want to use. You can also create a new user by clicking on the blue Create New Users button.
- Click on Add Permission -> Attach existing policies directly -> Check Following these policies Then Review and Click Add
Please follow the instructions below to create Access Key for your IAM user.
- Open the Security Credentials tab. Then, click Create Access Key.
- Then click Show to see the Secret Access Key.
- Copy the Access Key ID and the Secret access key and paste it into WP Time Capsule settings page.
- Select Bucket region you want and enter the bucket name, Bucket will be automatically created if it's not available.
Note: Sometimes the bucket creation may result in error, which is mainly due to a already existing bucket, in that case use a unique bucket name.
Note: Make sure that versioning is enabled on the bucket settings on S3 console.